Saturday, March 22, 2008

Empire Top as Maternity Dress and The DK Version

This is the reason why I have to ask my mother in law posed the Empire Top for me:


Yup, this is my "secret project" that I mention in my older post. I am pregnant! Another 2 months and Lauri got a little sister to play with.

As you can see in the photo, although originally I designed this top when I was not pregnant, however, in the end I am able to wear it. I think it’s because I knit this top using cotton yarn, and we are all know that cotton can stretch. The good thing about cotton is, once you wash, it shrinks back to the original size.

This is also the reason why it took 5 months to finish this top. I could not do anything on the first 4 months of pregnancy. I got bad morning sickness (I don’t understand why they call it morning sickness, when the reality is all day sickness) and just want to lie down and sleep.

Also you can see in the photo that I carried the flower button bag.

Below is the DK version of Empire Top (size L). Fernanda from FML Crochet tested the pattern for me. She is using Patons Classic Wool Merino (5 skeins). She decided not to knit the ruffles sleeve as it doesn’t suit her. Anyway, the empire top looks good on her. Although with the body like that, I think anything also looks nice on her.

15 comments:

Agnes said...

Very beautiful! That's some way to spend your pregnancy in elegance! Congratulations!

Mimi said...

Oh my, I could not have guessed Lily, you can very well keep a secret ;) You don't look so big even if you are 2 mos. close to having another baby...You look very pretty in your empire top and with your flower bag!

Jackie said...

Congratulations and you sure looks good.

Annie said...

Hi Lily, Congratulations!! wow this is real sweet and pretty knitted maternity dress! You look great. Glad to know that your "morning sickness" is gone!

Annie said...

Fernanda's DK version of your Empire Top is lovely too! Great pattern!

Cristina Salgueiro said...

Congrats :) Just keep those 2 months calm please, and relax, because the really job is coming...
I also like the sleeves with no ruffles...almost there :)

alt.ayu said...

wow!! Congratulations Lily!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your new pregnancy! Love the "Empire Top".

Anonymous said...

I never would have guessed that your secret project was "something in the oven" hehe! Congrats! You look *gorgeous* in your empire top. I guess that creation was meant to be for before, during, and after ;)

Lily said...

Thank you all! Actually, I also surprised that this top can accomodate my big belly :) So this top very versatile. Too bad it's not open up in the front, otherwise I can use it also during breastfeeding time.

opportunityknits said...

congratulations Lily! I'm sure Lauri must be so excited too!

Regg said...

congratulations! :D

TurquoizBlue said...

Oh congrats on your pregnancy!

Phyllis Galt said...

I am having some problems understanding this pattern and could use some help. My pattern says to ask questions at Iprajogo@hotmail.com but that is an undeliverable address. Is there some other place where I can post my questions?
Phyllis Galt

Lily said...

I changed my privacy setting. You should be able to send email now.