Tuesday, July 03, 2012

FO: Saltire in 3 Different Style.

Its time to reveal the FO of Saltire Mystery KAL that started last May.
The first sample that I made out of this pattern is using single color yarn. To tell you the truth I am not fond of using multiple color yarn. For me it's troublesome and distract the beauty of the pattern. So, when I started designing this pattern, I was using 1 color. Here is the result:





Pattern: Saltire
Materials: Rendezvous Forever Sock Yarn 75% Merino Superwash/25% Nylon (Lavender color)
Qty: 2 x 100 gram (920 yards total)
Hook: 4.5 mm
Start-Finish Date: 19 January - 9 March 2012
Finished size: 90cm/35" wide by 33cm/13" deep
Note: I didn't do part C (I only added this part later) and I still have about 30 gram leftover

Yes, it took almost 2 months to design this piece. It's because, I normally draw the chart and crochet at the same time. I like to do it in this manner because I will remember what have I done and how to do it once I done with the project. It's less overwhelming this way.

I was ready to launch this pattern as Mystery CAL, just need a bit of editing, then suddenly I got this request in the forum.

This got me to think. Like I said in the reply, I was too lazy to design colorwork crochet since I am not fond of it. However, probably the current one that I was ready to launch might look good using 2 colors yarn.

So, I had to postpone the launching, and crochet another sample using 2 colors. Choosing the colors gave me a headache. After 3 days of research, I finally choose mustard and lavender color for my sample. I choose these colors because these are the color that were available in my stash and looked good when I made a swatch. There are other color combination that looked promising, but didn't look good when I swatched. After almost 2 weeks crocheting this piece, I was really happy with the result. However, my other half not happy with the color. He said the colors was dull and not very lively, although I think this color gave a vintage feels.
I like how the color intertwine to each other on the neckband, and because of that I added another thin band before the edging using the same stitch pattern as the neckband.





Pattern: Saltire
Materials: Rendezvous Forever Sock Yarn 75% Merino Superwash/25% Nylon (Mustard and Lavender color)
Qty: 1 x 100 gram (460 yards) Mustard and 1 x 100 gram (460 yards) Lavender
Hook: 4.5 mm and 5.00 mm
Start-Finish Date: 12 March - 24 March 2012
Finished size: 90cm/35" wide by 45cm/17.7" deep
Note: I have very little leftover, and if you crochet not as tight as me, I suggest to have more yarn.

I did some research again, and in the end settled with yellow and grey combination. This time I did large size.





Pattern: Saltire
Materials: Rendezvous Forever Sock Yarn 75% Merino Superwash/25% Nylon (Mustard and Lavender color)
Qty: 2 x 100 gram (920 yards) Mustard and 1 x 100 gram (920 yards) Lavender
Hook: 4.5 mm and 5.00 mm
Start-Finish Date: 10 April - 29 April 2012
Finished size: 120cm/47.25" wide by 52cm/20.5" deep.
Note: I have plenty of yarn left. About 40 gram of each color.

So, which one you like the best? As for me I love the last one, because I simply love big shawl.

No comments: