Thursday, July 08, 2010

Bella Cape

Whenever I started a shawl project, Lauri would ask me whether it was for her. So I decided to make one for her using my Bella Shawl pattern. I modified the pattern and made it into square to become a cape. Basically I just double up the shawl, left out the several rows on top, and added buttons.

I used Pierrot yarn that I ordered online. I wanted to try this yarn since I saw a very pretty granny square blanket using this yarn. I thought that I also wanted to make blanket using it, and before I bought 50+ balls of this yarn, I thought I wanted to try it first. So I ordered 5 balls first to make cape for Lauri.

However, the tragedy happened. I forgot that I am not supposed to wash-machine non superwash 100% wool. Just imagine my surprised when I picked up this felted thing from my washing machine. I could not recognize it at first, until I realized what had happened. Well, unfortunately, this is become my first “felted” project.

The sad thing was that I made this cape quite big and I even could wear it. When it came out from washing machine, it shrank! It looked like a collar. It’s even too small for Lauri. Not to be desperate, I tried to block out the cape (now collar). I tried to tretch it using all my strength. I pinned the “collar” on my blocking board and stretched it until it could not stretch anymore.

And you can see it yourself below, how it looks like now:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Source: Here
Materials: Pierrot Soft Merino Fingering
Color: 313-6 Pale Red Brown
Qty: 4.1 x 40 gram (750 m / 685 yards)
Needles: Addi Metal Circular Needle 4.50 mm
Cost: USD 14.71 (including shipping)
Start Date: 2 June 2010
Finish Date: 26 June 2010

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it looks beautiful felted!! I like it as a cape, too.

Suzanne said...

Sad that it felted, but it will be a nice warm cape in the winter months or on chilly evenings!

Mimi said...

Lovely cape and model! Glad you came out of the mistake with success!

Walden said...

I'm sorry it felted, but I think it looks wonderful felted!

Angela said...

Still very cute! :)