Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Failed Blanket and A Bag

Remember this granny square blanket project? I decided that I didn’t like the color and put it aside. Then I started another blanket. This time I used one color only. I used the yarn that I bought from Elmore Pisgah. It’s called Naturalee. The color is dusty rose. They used natural dyes. After made about 12 squares, I decided to wash one of the squares to see how it looks like after washing and blocking. To my horror, the color bleeds very badly! But, since I made the blanket only use one color, I supposed it didn’t matter.

But, after it dried, I notice the color faded unevenly. It looked awful! I didn’t even want to take photo of it. I have total 6 balls x 50 gram. I don’t know what I am going to do with them.

Anyway, I still have something to show you all. From the leftover yarn of my Empire top, I decided to make a matching bag. Since 1 ball was not enough to make a bag, I also mixed with white color (the leftover from the Babette blanket). The pink yarn is sport weight, and the white one is worsted weight, so I split the white yarn into two to make them the same weight.



However, there were still not enough yarns to finish the bag. In the end I just used black acrylic thread (double it). The result, the black seems too strong. To balance the whole thing, I just embroidered some flowers and attached some buttons.


Now, I just need to buy black zipper and line the bag before able to wear it.

5 comments:

Jackie said...

what a lovely bag.

Mimi said...

I love your bag! You're right, the black would have been too strong without the embellishments...good job!
Sorry about the failed blanket. Maybe you could still use the yarn. Since it was dyed with fruits and veggies, they probably need to research more for it to retain the color. Perhaps you can color it with a commercial dye. Have you tried using those inexpensive powder dyes? We used them here for my son's tie-dye projects and the colors were retained for many washings.

Cristina Salgueiro said...

That embroidery is just lovely and the idea of the bottons is fantastic.

Andra said...

wow, I love it! You are so creative!

Unknown said...

I love the purse!! Great job