Saturday, February 14, 2009
The idea of this design came to me after I saw a nice lace pattern on one of my knitting books. The name of the lace pattern was "Falling Leaves" so I decided to keep the name. This is a very simple and cute top with some lace on the edge and button details on the sleeves. You can also make it longer and wear it as a dress. I imagine that this top will look elegant with black yarn, gold button, and beads on the lace part. This top is knit in the round, from the top down, and in one piece, so there’s no seaming. The pattern is available in 4 ply/sport weight and DK weight yarn.
Sizes: See measurement table. The sizing of the sweater is easy to customize. I’ve included sizing guidelines, but keep in mind that you can control the size. I also included tips how to make it fit to your own measurement. Since this is knitted from top down, you can try it as you go!
4 Ply: 3.00 mm (size 2) 80 cm long circular needle for the neck band, 3.50 mm (size 4) 80 cm long circular needle for the yoke, body and part of the lace, 4.00 mm (size 6) 80 cm long circular needle for part of lace.
DK Weight: 3.25 mm (size 3) 80 cm long circular needle for the neck band, 3.75 mm (size 5) 80 cm long circular needle for the yoke, body and part of the lace, 4.25 (size 7) mm 80 cm long circular needle for part of lace.
Yarn: Sport or DK Weight
4 Ply: XS: 1000m, S: 1100m, M: 1200m, L: 1300m, XL: 1400m, XXL: 1500m, XXXL: 1600m DK: XS: 800m, S: 880m, M: 960m, L: 1040m, XL: 1120m, XXL: 1200m, XXXL: 1280m
Notion: Tapestry needle, buttons (8 pcs), marker, scrap yarn
Gauge for body:
4 ply/Sport Weight: 25 sts and 30 rows = 4” (10 cm) in Stockinette Stitch (St st) using 3.5 mm needle or adjust the needle size to get gauge.
Double Knit Weight: 20 sts and 28 rows = 4” (10 cm) in Stockinette Stitch (St st) using 3.75 mm needle or adjust the needle size to get gauge.
All about this project in my blog
Click on the button below to buy a copy. This pattern is a pdf file, which you will be able to download once your payment is complete. Thanks!
add to cart
Falling Leaves is my first FO and my first published pattern for 2009. Last year I managed to reach my target to publish 3 patterns in a year. Hopefully, this year I can publish another 3 patterns as well.
It took me almost 3 months to finish this top, since I had to frog and re-designed almost the whole thing when I didn’t like the result of the original version. Actually, the original result not so bad, but I could not live with a “not so bad” FO. So, after sleeping over it I decided to frog.
I really like the result of this new version and I have worn this top many times already. As for the yarn, this is my first experienced to knit with 4-ply yarn. As you probably know that I like to knit using fine yarn. DK weight yarn is too thick for me to wear in this tropical island. This is the reason why sometimes I split my DK yarn into two to make it finer. However, since I know that most of people don’t like the idea to work with fine yarn that is why I write the pattern for DK weight yarn as well.
Pattern: Falling Leaves
Materials: Jaegar Sienna 4 ply. Color: Blue, SH 405, lot 1697051
Qty: 8 x 50 gram (140 m / 153 yards per ball)
Needles: Addi Metal Circular Needle 3.50 mm
Cost: Yarn USD 26.60 + button USD 10
Start Date: 3 November 2008
Finish Date: 22 January 2009
Look her now! Almost 5 years old already. How time flies.
Fiori also got a rose from Papa
Saturday, February 07, 2009
Fiori got a chance to sit on the trolley for the first time last Sunday 25 January. We went to Giant Hypermarket near our house to buy some mosquito repellents because Fiori and Lauri got bitten by mosquitos lately. See! Can you see a mosquito bite on Fiori’s right cheek.
Sunday, February 01, 2009
Anyway, since I had 3 yards material, and I only used up less than 2 yards, I have more than 1 yard left to make a dress for Lauri. So we can have matching clothes. I made this dress a bit bigger and longer so Lauri can wear it at least 2 years before it is too short or too small for her. I am very happy with the result. The puff sleeves are just perfect. I also put several flower buttons for embelishment.