Monday, February 05, 2007

Sage Cardigan Details

This was my first original design for knitting. It’s a long knit because I was using small needle and using fingering weight yarn. Well, it’s actually DK weight, but I splitted the yarn into two to get fingering weight yarn. The yarn brand was Wendy Supreme Cotton DK that I bought from Cucumberpatch. I bought 4 balls (1 balls = 100 gram or 201 meter), but I ended up only using 3 balls (only about 3 or 4 meter left). The cost of the yarn itself was RM20.50 or USD5.85 per balls (including the shipping cost), thus this cardigan only cost me RM61.50 or USD17.55! It’s very cheap for hand made one of the kind knitted garment, don’t you think?


I really enjoy knitting using small needle, although it takes longer time, but the final result is really worth it.


At this moment I am trying to write down the pattern as my mother in law also wants to make it. She wants row by row pattern complete with the chart. So, I must finish writing up the pattern before I start another project (although I have another design in my mind and I keep thinking about it).

I am thinking to change the buttons as they are a bit too small for the holes. If I can find nicer button, I will change it. Otherwise probably I will leave it as it is.

Pattern: My Own
Source: NA
Materials: Wendy Supreme Cotton DK. Color: Sage. Qty: 3 x 100 gram
Needles: Addi Metal Circular Needle 3.25 mm
Total Cost: Yarn USD 17.55 + Button USD.40
Start Date: 1 Nov 2006
Finish Date: 31 Dec 2006
Other entry this project:
Start, 25%, 75%, 95%.



On other news, remember the new product launching in Kuala Lumpur? My friend called me saying that she saw an article about the launching plus a photo of me in Saturday STAR newspaper. It’s also on the star online.

I am a bit disappointed because in the photo did not show of my Sage cardigan in the best position. I think after giving presentation I forgot to straighten my clothes and directly posed for photo shooting session.

14 comments:

mona said...

LILY!!!! I am amazed! that is a very good design effort! I would love this pattern too if you don't mind sharing - better still - work out some sizes and sell it online.

opportunityknits said...

Lovely cardigan, fits perfectly. I like the slightly flared sleeves and the crochet edging and the collar/neckband. reminds me of Kim Hargreaves designs. Thanks for the close ups and the details!

Mimi said...

Wowowee, very pretty Lily! Can I try the pattern too? I dont even know if I can knit past the stockinette and garter stitch anymore... And I dont have circular needles of that size, can straight needles be used instead? Better yet, can you design a crocheted version? :D
Congrats on the launching of your new cookware! Is the Maxim Radiance available here too? I seldom go out, but I do need a new teflon pan, mine has lost its non-stick quality. And it was also the expensive kind (made in France)...

knittydoll said...

What a beautiful pattern! The cardigan looks lovely on you- it has a lovely drape. Making the yarn into fingering weight was such a good idea- it's perfect for MY weather!

seedless grape said...

I saw your Craftster post and came over to see more pictures. It's a beautiful sweater! I really like the back and the collar. You did a fabulous job!

elizabeth marley said...

This is beautiful! I can't wait for the pattern, I really hope you finish it soon!

Anonymous said...

That is simply beautiful! I love the detail on the sleeves. Great work!

chookie said...

gorgeous! i hope you do a pattern for it!

Leah said...

Quite lovely!!!!!

knitzalot said...

That's gorgeous! I hope you publish the pattern.

handknit168 said...

The caridgan is wonderful. I also split the DK yarn into fine yarn, but it is hard and time-consuming. Same as you, I enjoy design own knitting pattern and knit with fine yarn, it is very exciting. Hope you will knit more own design pattern in future.

Jade said...

That's gorgeous!!! Can't wait for your pattern. I agree, bigger buttons will make the cardigan looks so much better. Good luck with hunting for the right button!

R a i n said...

That looks amazing! You're a wonderful designer.

Sheila said...

The Cardigan is absolutely breathtaking.