Saturday, September 21, 2013

FO: Proud as a Peacock

I designed this shawl a long time ago (about 2 years ago). If I remember correctly, I designed this after I designed Cassandra. I was in China that time and the weather was starting to get cold. I whipped up rectangular shawl using worsted weight yarn. When it's done, I was thinking that it would look lovely in triangle shape. So, I quickly drew a chart first before I forgot about it. After the chart was done, I was trying to crochet the newly designed shawl using the existing yarn I had. After the first 20 rows or so, I didn't really like the result. Not sure it was because the pattern, the yarn or my mood. So, I stopped and put it aside. Furthermore, another idea came out, so I had to chase after the new idea before it got lost (it became Remember Me).

Last year, I tried to make the shawl again using light fingering weight yarn, and once again after the first 20 rows or so, I didn't like the result. So, I stopped and designed Laura instead. Only last April, when I got lace weight yarn sample, I decided to have another go. This time, after the first few rows, I immediately fell in love and really enjoyed making it.

Here is my first sample made using only 1 skein of lace weight yarn. Surprisingly, the finished result is quite large.



Pattern: Proud as a Peacock (Small)
Materials: Rendezvous Silky Lace 50% Merino Superwash/50% Silk (Sleeping Beauty colorway)
Quantity: 1 skein (100g, 800 yards)
Hook: 3.5 mm (E)
Start Date: 20 April 2013
Finish Date: 28 April 2013
Finished Size on Blocking Board: : 176 cm (69.3") across top edge, 84 cm (33.1") depth

I love the result and decided to do the larger size with beads. I had difficult time to decide the placement of the beads. Once I decided, crocheting was a breeze.
Here is the result of medium size shawl with beads:



Pattern: Proud as a Peacock (Medium)
Materials: Rendezvous Silky Lace 50% Merino Superwash/50% Silk (Emerald colorway)
Quantity: 2 skein (200g, 1600 yards)
Beads: Toho Size 8 Seed Beads Dark Peridot Sil/Lined Frosted
Hook: 3.5 mm (E)
Start Date: 22 July 2013
Finish Date: 3 August 2013
Finished Size on Blocking Board: 226 cm (89") across top edge, 107 cm (42.1") depth

When the MCAL started, I could could resist to start another one. I wanted to know how light colorway looks like in this pattern. So, this time, I used light pink/purple colorway. I also did a slight modification, and stop PART A after I used only 30% of the yarn instead of using 45%. This way, I can repeat PART B one more time as per the medium and large pattern. I also only added size 6 beads on the last row instead of picot because I almost run out of yarn.
Here is the result:



Pattern: Proud as a Peacock (Small)
Materials: Rendezvous Silky Lace 50% Merino Superwash/50% Silk (Whisper colorway)
Beads: Toho SIZE 6 Seed Beads Light Topaz Silver Lined
Quantity: 1 skein (100g, 800 yards)
Hook: 3.5 mm (E)
Start Date: 17 June 2013
Finish Date: 28 june 2013
Finished Size on Blocking Board: : 226 cm (89") across top edge, 107 cm (42.1") depth

Which one you like?


No comments: