Saturday, February 12, 2011

FO: Cassandra Crocheted Shawl

I am super lazy to blog about my knitting or crochet projects lately. Most of the time, I only blog about it when it is already become a FO (Finished Object). I know I should post the progress or the process of the making here as this is my craft journal. The problem was, I had to start and frog this project many times, in the end I gave up documenting it. As you see that it took me more than a month to finish this shawl and I only did this shawl exclusively. No other projects ongoing.

The reason why I wanted to make this shawl crescent or semi circular was because I know some people doesn't like triangle shape, as they don't like the way the tip of the triangular pointing to certain place of their body (read: butt). Another reason is that crescent shape will stay put in the shoulder without a pin.
Although, I personally like triangle shawl (that is the only shape that I have so far), I was curious about how do I feel about other shawl shapes.

My choice of yarn to make this shawl is Madelintosh Sock yarn. I only have 2 skeins of yarn, so I made sure that I maximize the usage of this yarn but not run out of yarn. Before blocking, the shawl looks small. However, it grew substantially after touching water. I only lightly blocked this shawl.

Photobucket

This is my first using Madelintosh. I bought the yarn from detash in Ravelry in a bargain price (I only paid USD40.20 for both skeins including international shipping!!!). The color is deep, vivid and glowing. The yarn itself is a pleasure to crochet. I definitely will use this yarn again.

Madelinetosh Sock Dahlia

Anyway, here are the important details about this project:

Pattern: Cassandra Shawl
Source: here
Materials: Madelinetosh Sock, fingering/4ply 100% merino, 114g/395 yards per skein in Dahlia colorway, and had about 33 yards yards leftover.
Qty: 2 x 114 gram (395 yards/100 gram, 790 yards total). I had about 33 yards yards leftover.
Needles: Clover Hook 4.5 mm (G)
Cost: USD 40.20 (including shipping)
Start Date: 1 Oct 2010
Finish Date: 4 Nov 2010
Finishe size: About 95 cm or 37.5" in diameter



Special thanks for my technical editor: Chaitanya Muralidhara.

2 comments:

Tomirika LeAndra said...

Hi Lily,
I am attempting to make the Cassandra shawl(great pattern) I am what I would consider high beginner or low intermediate crocheter. I know that I crochet tightly but I checked my guage before I began and seemed right on with the fingering yarn and 4.5 hook. however I am on row 31 and it just seems so small I measured the diameter at row 30 and came up with 16 inches. Is this right? I am also still on my first skein of yarn. Could you offer some advice? and if it is too small what can I do to add more lenght/size without scrapping and starting again? Thank you for any help you can give me.

Lily said...

Hi Tomirika, 16" sounds about right. It will grow after blocking. You can try to block it now without cutting the yarn if you still having doubt. And if after blocking you still find the shawl too small to your liking, you can frog back to row 27, repeat row 5-16 one more time. Make sure total dc in row 31 after minus 4 is divisible by 6. I believe you need to repeat row 31 one more time or you can insert 1 more dc somewhere (I am not 100% sure about this, so please count your dc when you reach row 31).
Let me know if you have any question.